Friday, August 19, 2011

Day 3 & Day 4- Wayanad to Gokarna via Mangalore

Day 3

After a hot bath I left to Mangalore at around 10:30 am. I must mention here that NH 17 is the worst highway that I have encountered in my entire life. The 300km stretch from Wayanad to Mangalore was a 9 hour endurance test for me and my bike. Fotunately for me Tharun had suggested a place for stay, which belonged to religious trust. For Rs.250/night, the room was a palace for my battered body. A delicious dinner at Mangla Restaurant (once again sugested by Tharun bhai) was followed by a deep sleep.

Distance Covered- 300 km
Journey- Wayanad to Mangalore
Road condition- 15% Good, 30% Bad, 55% Worse, Very heavy traffic at Koilandy, Mahe and Thalassery


Day 4

Not finding much to do in Mangalore, I left to Gokarna by around noon. Stopped at Udupi for lunch, until where road works hampered my progress After Udupi, the ride was uneventful until I reached a place whose name I cant remember. A beautiful ride along the Arabian sea lasting for about 3-4km, followed by near empty roads for the final stretch to Gokarna. Just before I took the left on the highway to Om Beach, cops stopped me for a routine check. I was let go after they realised that my papers were in order, not before asking innumerable questions about my ride. They even thought I was lying when I told then my plan to hit Leh on my bike.
Anyways took the road to Om beach which as one hell of a ride. The winding roads climbing around a hill lock, with the beaches on your right side about 200 ft below- breath taking!






Parked myself in a shack in Namaster Cafe for Rs.250/night, which is the only place open during the off season. To this day I have never seen a more beautiful beach than this one.





The restaurant sits right on the beach, which is dotted by a few dogs and cows apart from a handful of locals.







A Spanish group of 5 (only remember the name of Maria) just arrived then, who asked me a few suggestions about Kerala, where they planned to visit later. I shamelessly flaunted my knowledge on La Liga (Spanish football league), trust me its a good ice-breaker. An elderly gentleman from Dubai who taught Reiki worldwide, was my companion for the rest of the evening.



Distance Covered- 300 km
Journey- Mangalore to Gokarna
Road condition- 30% Good, 50% Bad, 20% Worse, 4-laning works throughout the first 200 km

2 comments:

  1. Were the other names so difficult or was it difficult to forget this name?? ;-) And any interesting discussions on Reiki? Do add ur opinions on the local food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anonymous
    Just plain bad memory.
    On Reiki, he seemed to be talking about Energy flows generally like we were having some food on which he said he cud perform Reiki. Somehow to me it all seemed to be an illusion or an individual's perception only. You get what u see.
    As for the food started off with Puttu and Payaru in Calucut. Interestingly in Wayanad, a guy was having parippu vada (dal vada) mashed with fish curry. Looked exotic to me.
    The restaurant in Mangalore had their regional speciality, Coorgi Pork, while for breakfast had the local Idly, which was more like an amalgamation of Kozhukattai (rice balls) and Sevai (idiyappam). Was a bit hard on my throat, as the sambar got over.
    In gokarna, the cafe has a mix of continental and indian food catering to the foreign tongues. But the dal fry was just awesome. Will throw more light on the food as I travel.

    Do keep reading and post ur comments.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete