Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 6 & Day 7

Another rainy morning at Gokarna. being a weekend more indian tourists kept arriving. Since my clothes were still wet, i decided to pamper myself at Om beach for another day. During afternoon I rode to Kundle beach, which was virtually empty. The roads were amazing though, full of curves and flanked by lush green vegetation on either side.
Kundle beach

Met a few villagers on the way, working hard on maintaining the beauty of the region. A lady stopped me to ask what time it was and then when I asked her if I could click a photograph, she demanded money. tht surprised me and I kept persisting , while she was trying to pull my leg. finally she allowed me after she was satisfied with bullying me. I realised how often we underestimate the intelligence of a villager (shame on me)!
Smart lady who ragged me (Left)

While the sun slightly showed up in the evening, guests started filling the beaches.A group of college kids from Bangalore were having a gala time (too much of swearing though), a tamil family seemed to have entered a diffrent planet on entering Namster Cafe, while 2 or 3 indian couples were enjoying their time alone. Music fills the background for most of the time.

Namaste Cafe

After another lively evening, where I had copied music (about 13 GB) from the restaurant and a couple of other travellers., we all celeberated the birthday of a girl whose name i dont remember. Looked like she had come with her husband just after getting married. More rains and off to sleep.

Day 7

 I decided I will leave even if it was going to rain, since I was getting too comfortable for the past 3 days and had to hit my destination in 2 weeks time.Santosh serived me a heavy American breakfast, after which I packed my bags to leave. Bid goodbye to Santhosh and Bandhari, the guys who were part of the wonderful group catering to the visitors in Namste Cafe.

The road from Gokarna to Goa was just amazing. Having had the worst riding experience the previous few days, it was a welcome change to see excellent roads in great weather. Enroute hit Karwar, which seemed to be a very well planned city. As you enter, u see the huge Karwar Port and then keep riding along the beach, which is a beautiful sight.


Surprisingly the entire hundred km stretch was virtually empyt. but another surprising element was the number of cows along the highway. Although you can cruise at high speeds in this leg, u need to be extra careful due to the fact that Cows have the right of way here. Just after i entered Goa border, it started pouring. Since there was no sign of the sky clearing anytime soon, i decided to hit Palolem straight away. Found an excellent accomodation (double-bed with hot shower, tv and parking) for 200/night. thts the ebst part of visiting goa during the offseason- Customer is King. Hit the beach for lunch.

Palolem Beach

Learned my lesson- Never eat in a restaurant siting on the beach, freaking expensive. An israeli couple who were curious abt south india gave me some company.




It started raining heavily once again and came back to my room to have a good night's sleep.

Distance Covered- 110 km
Journey- Gokarna to Palolem beach
Roads- Very Good (keep an eye on the cows)


4 comments:

  1. Great S T A R T Matchi....
    Best of Luck for your travel. Im back from Madikeri today, read ur blog up to date.

    Take care
    Senthil

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to see you living your dream Mani :)
    very well written blog. keep on writing!
    and do lemme know when u r stopping at Hyd.
    take care n rock on!!
    -Banu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous. Loved your spirit of travelling from one place to another like a true Nomad. Your Gokarna/ namaste cafe narration reminded me of my trip there last year. Go ahead Sailor. Bon Voyage!!

    www.rajniranjandas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Senthil
    Thanx machi...keep reading! maybe u shd plan ur next outing somewhere in the north.

    @ Banu
    Thnx. Since im travelling by the west coast, wouldnt be hitting hyd anytime now, maybe will come down for diwali, lets see..hope u having fun out thr.

    @ Niranjan Das
    Probably anyone whose been to Gokarna will fall in luv with the place. Thanx for ur wishes man..keep reading!

    ReplyDelete